keeping girls in the game
Athletic Republic introduced its female stability training campaign to raise awareness among young female athletes, their parents, and coaches on the facts behind the on-going rash of ACL injuries among young female athletes, and to offer training solutions that reduce the risk of a non-contact ACL injury.
Research has shown that 72% of the non-contact ACL injuries young women experience may be prevented by providing proper awareness and education, introducing specific “stability training” to their workout routine, and reinforcing the appropriate training programs that focus on the female athlete.
ACL Injury Facts
- A non-contact ACL injury typically occurs when; (1) the hip is internally rotated, (2) the knee is close to or at full extension, (3) the foot is planted, (4) the body is decelerating, leading to a valgus collapse of the knee.
- Female athletes are 3 – 6 times more likely to have an ACL injury than a male playing the same sport. Young women between the ages of 12 and 16 are at the highest risk of an ACL injury.
- The high school sports that have the highest occurrence of ACL injuries for women are soccer, basketball, lacrosse, gymnastics, volleyball, and softball *(American Academy of Pediatrics).
- An ACL injury at an early age can be a life-changing event. In addition to the stress of injury, 6-12 months of recovery, and the treatment costs, the time lost from school and sports can have a considerable effect of the athlete's mental health and academic performance. In many cases, young women do not return to their sport after ACL surgery.
Athletic Republic's Acceleration Training Protocols cater to the individual needs of each athlete's sport and position. Our 5 pillars of training include speed, strength, power, agility, and stability. We create faster, stronger, more explosive athletes who are able to play at game speed longer and with fewer injuries. As part of the female stability training campaign, we are introducing additional stability movements into our Acceleration training program along with a "take-home" stability training kit that female athletes will receive as a gift-with-purchase to promote a regular stability regimen that can be done anywhere. Athletic Republic is committed to doing its part in keeping female athletes safe, healthy, and in the game. To find a training center near you, click here. To see some of our stability training exercises in action, click here.
Stability TRAINING Kit
For those who don't live close to an Athletic Republic, stability training kits can be ordered online. The cost per kit is $149 or can be ordered in "Team Packs" of 10 for $1,290. CLICK HERE to buy now. Each kit includes the following items:
- Athletic Republic cinch bag
- 12" mini resistance band
- 60" covered cord w/ handle
- Balance disc
- Massage ball
- Athletic Republic ramp
- Water bottle
- Laminated exercise card
With over 120 training centers worldwide, Athletic Republic is the industry leader in performance sports training. Over the past 27 years, we have helped develop more than 1 million athletes of all ages and abilities through our TEST-TEACH-TRAIN philosophy. Athletic Republic uses a science-based approach, proprietary technology and sport-specific protocols to give youth and endurance athletes a competitive advantage. We understand there is a better way to train athletes and a better way to reach peak athletic performance. Part of that is making sure both our male and female athletes are staying healthy. To request an interview with CEO Charlie Graves, please contact Troy Rutten at trutten@AthleticRepublic.com.